[MiQP-Mail] K9TM/MONR SOLP

K9TM k9tm at buckeye-express.com
Sun Apr 17 20:06:52 CDT 2005

Band	SSB	CW
80	53	77
40	127	145
================
	180	222	= 402
Mults	69	65	= 134
Score: ~82,000
About 8 hours of operation.

Station: FT1000MP (100 watts)
Ant: 40m inv-v @ 25'
     80m inv-v @ 20'

Dave (K8CC) had mentioned how he wished they could get someone from Monroe
County to get on but they never seem to be able to get a commitment.  With
less than a week before the contest, I had a weak moment and volunteered to
do Monroe.

I have access to a house in Monroe County and thought that I would stop on
my way home from work during the week and throw up antennas.  Hmm, that
didn't work out.  So I found myself 2 hours before the contest with the
antennas made (but not tested) but none of them in the air and no station
setup.

At that point the plan was to get the 40m antenna working and worry about
the rest after that.  The 40 went up easily.  It was hung as an inv-v from a
tree that overhung the detached garage I was to operate from (up about 25').
The SWR was great.  The sounds from my MP were not so great.  All I could
hear were distant 4's and 5's.

The 20m antenna never did work and that is why I ended up with no qso's on
20m.  I listened several time but never heard anyone doing the qso party on
20m.  I tried to use the 40m ant on 15m but that wouldn't tune either.  So I
concentrated on getting the 80/75m antenna working.  Many things happened
and the 80m antenna ended up as an inv-v with the apex at about 20' and the
ends at about 6' (I really wanted it higher and was concerned about how it
would perform).  The good news is that the swr was < 1.8:1 across the entire
useful band on 75/80.

I started late and also spent quite a bit of time during the QSO party
trying to get the station together.  I ended up quitting 2.5 hours early as
the rate tanked, it was getting chilly and it appeared all the fun was over.

I operated field day style.  The wx was great during the day.  I didn't have
to worry much about chasing mobiles around as I couldn't hear them anyway.

It was fun during the mid-late portions when everything I worked (or heard)
that I needed on the other mode I would try and get a QSO on the other mode.
Many people were very receptive to the idea and I am very thankful to all
who QSY'd.  Otherwise, my mult total would have been much worse than it
ended up.

All and all a fun and relaxing way to spend a Saturday.  Thanks to all for
the Q's and especially those who QSY'd.

73 Tim K9TM