[MiQP-Mail] Any other QRP?

steve murphy n8nm at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 17:39:36 CDT 2005

Was anyone else QRP this weekend?

Boy, did I misjudge the propagation by putting all of my eggs into the 40m basket! I operated portable (fixed stn) from Silver Lake State Park in Oceana County, using an IC-735 with a G5RV at 30', and a trapped dipole for 40 and 20 strung perpendicular to the G5RV. I had the hardware and the space to put up a better 80m antenna, but didn't think it'd be worth the effort, especially when, on Friday, I tested the station with a few W8's and VE3's and got great results.

Another mistake was not setting up a decent SO2R station.  I've come to rely on SO2R from home, and don't know what I was thinking when I decided it wasn't goint to be necessary from another QTH.  It's absolutely essential in order to be competitive at any level, but I think even more so for QRP. I definately won't make that mistake again!

Anyway, I'll post a more complete score when I unload the camper and get my laptop online.  The bottom line was 196 QSOs and about 32K points.  I'll post the break-down later today or tomorrow. I'm curious,  How's that look compared to other full-time QRP entrants? I have a feeling that it's going to be a close race.

Thanks again to everyone who had to pull me out of the noise!  I'll try to be louder next year.

73!

Steve N8NM