[MiQP-Mail] [Fwd: Thanks MN!]

Bruce Tanner w8isc at tech-tiques.us
Mon Apr 18 18:08:11 CDT 2005

John, thanks for hyping us in Minnesota! Among the states we heard and
worked, MN was the more potent and most frequent.

We will submit an official report later but at this point I am recalling
that we worked about 170 Q's, all but about eight of them were on SSB.
We accounted for a little over half of the 83 MI counties, 26 states and
one Canadian Province.  It was amazing that we had exchanges with
literally ALL of the usually difficult to get Eastern seaboard  states
as well as WVA.

We worked only 40 and 80 meters and did not hear stations on any other
band at the times we listened there.  I was surprised not to hear
anything on 20 but it looks like most of the activity on that band was
CW, a mode we, regrettably,  did not spend enough time on.

Rig was an IC-756 Pro II running 100 watts.  Most of the time we were
using Ham Sticks for antennas, sometimes in motion, at other times at
rest.

We had started working the Party from Midland, MI after a brief browse
of the Michigan Antique Radio Club swap meet being held there the same
day. We worked our way back home (Lansing) with difficulty at times
maintaining focus on the contest what with all the yard and garage sales
blooming along the way! We were pretty good Ham Kids in that regard!

Our most lengthy portable install was in Clinton County.  We found a
park at Elsie and strung up a 100 foot random wire fed with the IC
random wire tuner.  It provided the best signals, in and out, of the
whole journey.  We even had a real Ground there and made most of our Q's
from that location until the closing of the park gates forced us to be
on our way.

All together, we mobile'd through the counties of Midland, Bay,  Saginaw
and Clinton while ending up in rare Gratiot county until dark. By that
time the band was pretty difficult for a 100 watt mobile stick!  We
didn't use the big wire there since we were not sure where we would tie
it up or see to get it down!  Otherwise we were one of those mobiles
whom many seem not to have heard! We made no contacts while we were in
Ingham county.

We experienced the same propagation conditions as many others have
described on the list. Basically we did pretty well on 40 meters during
the early hours and then it seemed to drop out. The SW Broadcasters
eventually gave us the clue to move to 80 meters where we did quite well
until we pulled stakes around 10:30 PM to head for home.

In spite of the poor propagation and limitations of the Ham Sticks  we
had great fun and  tremendous weather. We thank those providing
exchanges and look forward to improved operating strategies next year.
We may even get to practice with some of the upcoming Parties in the
nearby states. Thanks for the invites.

73,

Bruce, W8ISC (Home port is Ingham County)
and...
Ed, W8EO/M  (Call used in contest)