[MiQP-Mail] MQP AA8SN

Hope Francisco aa8sn at msn.com
Wed Apr 20 21:48:42 CDT 2005

I've enjoyed reading all the comments posted on the miqp reflector and
seeing all the scores so will add my two cents worth.  First off--my scores
for my single op, low power operation.

                      Raw qso's         Valid qso's         pts
mults
80 CW             126                  114                 228
43
80 SSB             92                   91                    91
   47
40 CW              8                     8                     16
     6
20 CW              40                   38                   76
   15
20 SSB             34                   34                    34
    18

TOTALS         300                  285                  445
129

Total pts.  57,405
operating time:  10 hrs.
Exchange:  #  GRTR

Like everyone else, I was disappointed in 40m which is the band I count on
for the MQP during the day.  I ended up staying on 20m until about 5 PM when
I switched to 80 m and finally started getting some MI counties.  My rig was
a Kenwood TS 450.  My 20m antenna was a tri-bander, and for the rest I used
my 80 m loop.  For contests, I use an ancient DOS laptop, a relic from the
school system, which was giving me fits (operator error partially!).   I
always enjoy hearing the many familiar calls in this contest, my favorite of
the year.    My apologies to the Monroe station that asked me to qsy to the
cw portion of the band for a cw contact where I never came through.
Wouldn't you know it, I couldn't get the computer to send cw no matter what.
  Well....  I forgot to change the mode from ssb to cw but of course, that
didn't occur to me until about 5 minutes later.  Talk about feeling
intelligent!  Oh well, in spite of some funny (frustrating?) moments like
that, I had a great time in the contest and will definitely be back on next
year.

        Hope AA8SN