[MiQP-Mail] N9NE/M/MI

Todd Fonstad tfonstad at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 23 17:24:57 CST 2005

Greetings!

I was elated to read that a "Mobile/Solo-Operator" category has been
instituted for this year's MiQP!!  I've had so much dad-burned fun in this
'test the last few years (QRP in and out of state, plus mobile last year)
that I wouldn't miss it for a snowstorm in April (well, ahem, maybe....)!

I ran nine Yooper counties last year, solo. Great time, perfect weather
(except for the three-hour T-storm driving back to Oshkosh after midnight!),
and wonderful scenery. Logging on the fly was a problem ... multi-tasking
while driving isn't something I would recommend.

So, now I am faced with the mental challenge of optimizing the various
factors that go into producing a maximum score. I am leaning toward mobiling
in only 6 to 8 counties to cut down on the unproductive drive time between
each. That is a real challenge in the U.P. with its large counties. I'll
confirm this later, but I am now thinking of starting in western Iron County
(after I leave Motel Sordide in Iron River) and driving clockwise to
Gogebic, Ontonagon (my favorite parking spot is atop the high drumlin named
Himanka Hill), Houghton, Baraga, Marquette, and Dickinson. Ironically, the
"excess" mileage from Dickinson to Menominee on good roads may prevent
operation in Menominee County .... the county closest to my QTH.

My strategy is to spend more time in each county, use more bands (will they
be open?) and operate both CW and SSB in order to pick up the county
multipliers.

I run the K2/100 to a mag-mount, short-mast, Hustler antenna atop the van
roof. I use the three-resonator adapter for 20/40/80 meter operation. The
narrow bandwidths on 40 and 80 preclude using those resonators/stingers on
SSB, so I have to figure out how to get something on 40 and 75 SSB. I have
another mag mount and appropriate resonators, but once on the van roof, the
two systems interact so complexly that it is virtually impossible to tune
each resonator to the frequency desired. My question is: how do YOU operate
CW and SSB (if you do) mobile?  I know some folks used motorized
"screwdriver-type" units, while others simply let their ATU's do the job.
The K2 ATU will tune a non-resonant antenna to unity, but the efficiency of
the system is greatly reduced. Doing this last year, I spent a lot of
frustrating time on SSB attempting to get MI stations with poor results.
THEY were loud, but I was QRPp and couldn't be heard.

Will post again as time gets close.

Very best regards,
Todd
N9NE