[MiQP-Mail] I can't wait ...

k8bb@comcast.net k8bb at comcast.net
Thu Apr 13 16:51:11 CDT 2006

I am quite excited to see all of the messages on this forum concerning planned operations, discussions of strategy (especially band changes and mobile operations), and a general air of enthusiasm. This has got to be one of my favourite contests. With any luck, the WX will continue to cooperate. :-)

The K8MQP team have been furiously exchanging emails over the past few days ironing out our plans for this weekend. I think we have the most of the details taken care of and we are looking forward to this more than we probably should be. (Is there a nerd joke in here someplace?)

Today's propagation bulletin from K7RA (ARRL) loosely predicts some minor disturbances for Saturday. However, as I have experienced quite a bit in the past many months of low sunspot activity, this does not spell disaster. As K8MR mentioned earlier, if 40m is not its usual self, often 80m can be good for the close-in stuff. Last year, when 40m was long-long-long all day, 80m provided strong MI (etc.) signals and low noise. I made 75m QSOs as early as 4:30 in the afternoon and I made our official band change to 80m at 6pm, 2+ hours before dark. I remember thinking that I was "late" to the band as there was already so much activity.

On the other hand, if conditions are "good" or 80m is exceptionally noisy, 40m can be the bread-and-butter band and the high bands may be quite useable - remember to check 10m on even hours, 15m on odd hours, SSB on the hour and CW on the half hour.

This would be a good time to shoot a personal note to a radio friend or acquaintance (especially in Michigan) to remind them of the event (noon to midnight Saturday) and encourage them to get on. With as much as the MQP committee already does to promote this event, a personal note to a friend who you know is probably willing and able to get on the air for a couple of hours and make some QSOs will go a long way for the activity level of this contest, which already has a reputation for strong participation, excellent ops, and consistent growth.

This is going to be great!

73