[MiQP-Mail] Suggestion for Mobiles/Rovers

Ethan Miller K8GU ethan at k8gu.com
Mon Apr 17 13:51:03 CDT 2006

Hank,

While I applaud your noble effort, let me add a couple of comments
"from the road" in defense of the status quo...

Although I've mobiled in MN, WI, and OH, I've never done MI.  But, generally
speaking, most of the "regular" mobiles will post their plans and make
comments/suggestions to one another privately about route deviations to
maximize coverage and minimize the impact of failures by the individuals.

In the broadest sense, the goal of a mobile operation is RATE.  With a
fixed core of participants chasing you from county to county, you want to
spend AS LITTLE TIME THERE AS POSSIBLE to maximize your rate.  In my opinion,
this keeps it interesting for the hunters and the hunted.

(Of course, in OhQP and MiQP, you have the SSB factor, as well...but, that's
a twist on the rate situation...)

My opinion certainly may not reflect that of those who mobiled last
weekend.  But I, for one, would be insensed if I was asked to spend more
than what I considered a strategically beneficial amount of time in a
particular county, especially if conditions were stinko and I was CQing
into the ether after a few minutes.  If mobiles were to organize more, the
notion of "early" and "late" coverage of the same county would be more
beneficial than longer-duration in my mind.

But, there are a lot of variables in such a problem.  I think the present
system adequately addresses the needs of ops of all skill levels and
persuasions...

73,

--Ethan, K8GU.

-- K8GU - Urbana, IL - www.k8gu.com --

One man's signal is another man's noise.