[MiQP-Mail] Suggestion for Mobiles/Rovers

Jimk8mr@aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Mon Apr 17 15:48:27 CDT 2006

Ethan pretty well describes my approach to route planning.

Before the MiQP I had private discussions with W1NN, AF8A, and WT9U to
confirm that counties would not be missed, that there wouldn't be excessive
duplication of coverage, and that visits by different ops would be at different
times of the day.

My own operation depends on whether I am the only person planning to be in  a
particular county.  In the two previous years we did the far NE lower
peninsula, much the route that AF8A did this year. Most of the counties were
covered only by us, so we made a point to work out 40 and 20 cw, and to  make a try
at SSB at least on 40.

But once we made it to Bay county heading toward home, it was pedal to the
medal to get through as many counties as quickly as  possible.

Even if we're not the only one in a county, we try to work out any pileups
before leaving. This may involve stopping along the side of the road or
pulling into a driveway.  Obviously this is something that can't be done on  an
interstate highway.

But as Hank noted, it can be good strategy to return to a county later  in
the day, after propagation has changed, in particular so  that 80 meters is
available.  This is especially true for solo  driver/operators, for whom keeping
down the time spent driving is  important. This year we did that with a return
visit to Midland and  Gladwin.

W1NN and AD8J have long since figured this out.

73  -  Jim  K8MR

In a message dated 4/17/06 4:18:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ethan at k8gu.com