[MiQP-Mail] Segue from "Suggestion for Mobiles/Rovers"

Stephen M. Murphy murphyst at co.oakland.mi.us
Thu Apr 20 07:28:38 CDT 2006

Dave keyed in on two points that are essential not only for mobile ops, but
for anyone interested in winning.  They're also two things that I, and I
suspect others, do wrong every year:

1) Work SSB. I don't like operating phone, I'd almost rather go to the
dentist than run it for any length of time.  Missing these mults kills my
score, though, so I need to get over this.  For example, comparing my score
to KK8I, I had a significanly higher QSO total, but Uli's score was a few K
higher due to his having more SSB mults.  And he did this QRP. What an
animal!

2)Work less productive bands.  Same rationale: Get more mults. I don't think
I screwed this up too badly this year, although I did start running the
second radio on 80m too early. I kept thinking about last year, when K8BB
said 80 was productive as early as about 4:00 EDT. This year was different,
hi. It's difficult to force yourself to focus on a less productive band if
your rate on the "primary" band is at all reasonable, but looking at your
Mult:QSO ratio screen more and the rate screen less helps to get over this
mental block.

IMO, good SO2R techniques can mitigate both of these problem areas. I
haven't trained my brain to do cross-mode SO2R very well yet, but I'm
working on it.  Duelling CQ's kept me from losing too many mults on the less
productive bands, as I was able to run 40 for the duration while
simultaneously running on 20 or 80.  With the poor condx and low overall
rates, this year was ideally suited to that sort of operating.

Thanks for letting me ramble on; and I apologize if any of this is less than
coherent.  It's early, and it's been a rough week.

73,
Steve N8NM