[MiQP-Mail] MiQP Activity Map

Hank Greeb n8xx at arrl.org
Thu Mar 23 18:45:51 CST 2006

Tim:

One person's treasure is another person's clutter.  However, when in
Rome (Michigan) do as the Michiganders do, so I'll defer.

The best State QSO party in which I participated was the Ohio QSO Party
in 1977 or thereabouts, when I publicized the activity in Vinton County
(Where there were [and apparently still are] no regularly active hams).
I publicized the activity in Traffic Nets, in the county Hunter's
bulletin (we didn't have the internet then), in QST [as a "special
event" station], CQ, 73, and probably other places.  Being Section
Communications Mangler at the time helped me in knowing where publicity
was easily obtained.  1977 was when "N" calls and "X" suffixes were
quite new, so N8XX was an attractive call in and of itself.  And, good
propagation conditions, with an antenna strung between two 70' naturally
occuring antenna supports didn't hurt.

Just think, if in 2007, we have 75 1 by 1 "special event stations"-
publicized in QST, on the ARRL web site, in our Section Mangler's
newsletter - on the same weekend as the MiQP.  Think of all the extra
publicity for the activity.  We'd probably attract folks who look for
extra wallpaper from special event stations.  There could even be more
than 75 special event stations with "standard calls" like WM8ICH,
KM8ICH, WK8ENT, K8ENT, etc., or variants  (Gee, those calls aren't
taken, at least not according to QRZ.com.).

To get the maximum publicity we'd need to apply for the special event
call signs 5 months or so before the event, and fill out the special
event  information at the ARRL's web site. That's all that is needed.
If, after trying it for a couple years, we find that I'm all wet and it
doesn't increase participation, then I'd admit de-toes (or de-feet).
But I can't see how it could hurt.

I found that a 1 by 1 call is generally known, and doesn't create
questions anymore. When we used W8B for the OhHoHo QSO party during the
past couple years, several folks looked for our 1 by 1 call, sent QSL's
and SASE.  We seldom, if ever, had folks question "what's the rest of
your call?"

But, I ramble.  Thanx 4 listening.  SRI we won't CU on MiQP.

73 de n8xx/(N8M during MiQP) Hg