[MiQP-Mail] Rover or Portaable Category for MiQP?

Hank Greeb n8xx at arrl.org
Wed Nov 15 10:16:55 CST 2006

Just a thought - OQP has a Rover category, ILQP has a portable category
(they even allow "parking" or "setting up" on the intersections of
counties, and claiming up to four contacts/counties per station worked -
which proved very interesting this year for me).

For example, I've located three spots in public locations within about
10 miles of each other for Ionia, Montcalm, and Kent counties.  It would
be interesting to set up in each of these places with portable antennae,
and rotate between them every two hours or so (so that propagation
variations could be washed out and each location given the same
probability to be worked by stations at various distances from these
locations).  The first round would include antenna erection, though I'd
plan to leave the antennae up until the end of the contest.  (In Ohio it
seems that folks are penalized because they have to move their antennae
when they're operating as rovers - they can't come back to the same spot
without suffering the downtime of antenna erection.  Therefore the early
counties favor 40 and 20 metres, often with skip zones on 40 so Ohio
stations don't hear those counties, and the out of state stations may
not hear the later counties because propagation on 80 isn't all that long.)

Either allowing setting up at a county line (for both mobiles and
portables), or allowing portables/rovers to operate with antennae which
are initially transported in one vehicle but left up during the contest
period, might add a bit of a "zinger" to the contest.

Now, I'll run for cover while the flak descends upon me for such a brash
suggestion.

73 de n8xx Hg