[MiQP-Mail] N9NE/M MIQP Plans (longish)

Todd Fonstad tfonstad at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 18 09:21:30 CDT 2007

Greetings from a former portion of Michigan Territory!

Hank, K8DD, twisted my arm from afar and made me commit myself to the MIQP
as a single mobile entrant once again. I'll be driving to Iron River from
Oshkosh late Friday afternoon to begin my eight or nine county drive from
western IRON County at noon Saturday.

I 'usta' stay at one of the then several family-owned motels in town for
less than $30 ... not bad for a bed, coffee in the morning, and no sign
stating "please do not p-- in the sink"!

Virtually all these places have disappeared with the opening of a large
'chain' motel which charges almost thrice as much. Such is life even in the
UP.

I don't believe anyone will ever win the MIQP as a mobile from the UP, but
with the right attitude and a few contacts, once can certainly enjoy the
contest as well as the landscape along the route: small towns, the forest,
lakes, wetlands, and waterfalls.

Larry, K5OT (who lived just a few miles north of me a few years back before
moving to Austin) and I have also experienced the 'joy' of the four hour
drive back home at midnight in the fog, rain, and occasional T-storm on
narrow, twisting roads before hitting the 4-lane north of Green Bay. This
happens almost every year.

The route (in sequence) will take me through IRON, GOGE, ONTO, HOUG, BARA,
MARQ, DICK, MENO, and DELTA.

It helps to know a little Finnish to navigate in this area ... one word I
remember from my first marathon (the Paavo Nurmi in nearby Hurley, WI) is
'Sisu'. It is a concept which could carry you through the 12 hours of the
event!

I'll be on 80 meters as well as 40 and 20 right from the beginning as a
means to grab some counties. 80 was fantastic during the WIQP five weeks
ago. I will QSY to 40 and 20M SSB if requested but will concentrate on
working CW.

Good luck to all, enjoy the 'test, and return home safely.

73
Todd
N9NE/M/8