[MiQP-Mail] Mobiles on APRS

David Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Thu Apr 19 16:57:58 CDT 2007

Randy,

The MiQP committee generally takes the approach that "anything not
prohibited is permitted".  At this late hour, I'm making the executive
decision that if mobiles want to broadcast their position using APRS,
this is allowed and will not re-classify them in any way.  Note that
this only applies to APRS position information.  Mobiles are not allowed
to broadcast their operating frequencies (which is interpreted as
self-spotting, which is not allowed in any category).

Since there is no single-op assisted category, for this year we'll allow
single-ops to view the APRS information without being re-classified as
multi-ops.  Note that this issue will be re-visited in the rules for
MiQP 2008.

I'm not familiar with the software the home stations might use to
receive the APRS information, but it's expected that single-ops will set
up their equipment to view APRS information only, and not spotting
information.  You're on your honor...

73,

Dave/K8CC
Chairman, MiQP Organizing Committee