[MiQP-Mail] Spice up the pie..

hank k8dd k8dd at arrl.net
Sat Mar 10 08:18:10 CST 2007

On 3/10/07, Randy Love <wf5x at interserv.com> wrote:

> I think that extra incentives for non-"Hardcore" QP'ers is a great idea.

I think Randy said it all in that sentence.
The "Hardcore" QP'ers are, generally speaking, going to show up anyhow.
You gotta "sell" MiQP to the non-"Hardcore" QP'ers.  Give them a reason to
get in there and look for stations calling "CQ MI QSO Party".

Years ago when I made club stations worth something like 5 points per QSO
with them it seemed like the number of logs increased.

Years ago there was something for the Techs - 6 meters and up which caused
pockets of activity from the VHF ops - they drove to surrounding counties to
give each other QSO's (and the Hardcore QP'ers, too!).  One of them in Port
Huron even used an airplane.   And a few of them eventually upgraded and now
enter QSO Parties on HF.

Years ago in MiQP there were guys on county lines giving anywhere from two
to four counties and QSOs.  They sounded like they were having fun and
attracted attention for the QSO Party, and made a heck of a lot of QSOs.

Other than the unadvertised M/M battle between K8MQP and K8XXX, what makes
MiQP stand out?   (OK, and besides the NU8Z's "fire 'em up" SPAM emails and
a couple of road shows to some local clubs, that is).

But will something like spelling a word that is not pronounced like it's
spelled (Macinac) make a difference for most of "Hardcore type's"?  Probably
not.    But might it attract some more of the "casual type's"?   It just
might!

So there's my thoughts on the "spell Macinac or Michigan".
Hey - if you don't want to do it with 1X1 calls - use the first letter of
any suffix in MI to spell the word ..... you need two different calls where
there is a duplicate letter in the word.

73    Hank    K8DD

(Fireproof suit on!)

--
'Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their
level then beat you with experience.'      -anon