[MiQP-Mail] 50th of Mackinac Bridge

Hank Greeb n8xx at arrl.org
Mon Mar 19 14:13:54 CDT 2007

GREAT GOING, Randy!

I hope you've started an avalanche of 1 x 1 applications.  I have N8M
for my operation in Kent or Montcalm County.  There are 7 distinct
letters  in M A C K I N A C, so we should shoot for 21 different 1 x 1
calls.   I've offered to print and mail the certificates, so the award
"should" be a go.  Since time is short, I agreed that we could "spell"
MACKINAC with the first letter of ANY Michigan 1, 2 or 3 letter suffix.

As for justifications for use of a call, in practice, "Michigan QSO
Party", "Ohio QSO Party", "Illinois QSO Party," have all passed muster
for me - Ohio QSO party has passed muster for something like 3 or 4
years in a row.   Using the Mackinac Bridge event is a very suitable
justification for a 1 x 1 call.  The fellow @ ARRL Hq who administers
the calls advises that they've never had to ration 1 x 1 calls, though
it might be conceivable that there'd be two big commemorative events in
the same call area on the same date, which could conceivably result in
rationing of the calls.

With a puny antenna we managed considerably better with W8B on OQP from
the same locations as we did for a couple years with N8XX, and the
operators haven't improved in ability, so I attribute this to the
attraction of a 1 x 1 call.

I'll be looking forward to working W8I from N8M - and I hope others will
jump on the bandwagon to fill out the K, N, and W roster of m's, a's, etc.

73 de n8xx Hg