[MiQP-Mail] Fwd: [ILQSO] State QSO party questions

Hank Greeb n8xx at arrl.org
Wed Mar 21 17:29:28 CDT 2007

Gerry:

Thanks for the "near flame."  You're entitled to your opinions, and
flames don't bother me atall.  I'm glad I was wearing my (politically
incorrect) asbestos suit when I read it.  So far I've not suffered
asbestosis from the frequent need to wear it.

As for ILQP and its allowance for multiple county line operation....  A
station working a four county line operation gets four QSO points and
four multipliers - that's per the 2006 rules.  I was parked within the
distance prescribed the the organizers of the event (it was either 200
yards or 200 feet of the actual corner - I don't remember which.  It was
a former wheat field.   I read and abided by the rules of the contest.
As for logging, I use N3FJP's contest logger, and when I make a contact,
the logging software does everything for me. It makes the four contacts,
as prescribed by the ILQSO party rules, calculates the correct score,
etc.   I sent CHAM/DOUG/EDGR/VERM as my county,   If I worked another
multiple counties station I had to manually enter the individual
counties into the logging software, but it then made multiple contacts
for each of the counties in which I'm residing.  Voila! as many as 16
log entries from my 4 county station working another 4 county station.

If you don't agree with this rule, c'est le guerre. You certainly may
petition the ILQP rules committee for a change in the rules.  If you get
them changed, I'll abide by the new rule.  If you entered ILQP and you
worked N9Q, and only entered 1 of 4 contacts from my four county station
I don't recall any penalty for your error.

I happen to like the multiple county rule.  I've heard that MiQP had a
similar rule in the past, but for whatever reason it was dropped.  My
general comment on the subject is - if we all had to agree on all
aspects of ham radio in general, and contesting in particular, we might
as well move to a country where we don't have freedom of expression

I suppose there may be some folks who are surprized at the careful log
checking of the ILQP committee.  I was a bit surprized, but it was a
wake up call to be extra careful next year, to try to reduce the error
rate.  As you say, some may be turned away if they have a high error rate.

It seemed to me that Illinois didn't have as much activity as I've seen
in the Ohio or Michigan QSO parties, but there was enough activity to
keep me busy between "warm up times" in my vehicle because the weather
was so unseasonably cold.   I'm taking a tent and propane heater with me
this year, just in case the weather is inclement.

Finally, if you don't like what I've said about Michigan & Ohio
operators, and MiQP and OQP, that again is life.  My perceptions are
mine.  I believe I have every right to my thoughts, my observations, and
the privilege of expressing them.  If I'm pariah for expressing them in
the eyes of you, or the the respective contest committees, c'est la
vie.   If everyone agreed on everything about the contest and the
current rules, we'd have the same rules as existed when the very first
Michigan and Ohio State QSO parties began, way back before my time in
Ohio - when I was helping to run the OQP in 1978 or so.

I'll be looking for your 1 x 1 call during MiQP 2007.  Glad you're
jumping in on the (hopefully) bandwagon to sign up for 1 x 1's for the
event!

73 de n8xx Hg