[MiQP-Mail] Lettuce Pray for a few sunspots for April 19

David Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Sun Apr 13 00:47:57 EDT 2008

I don't think there is any doubt that in-state QSOs on 40M will be
difficult after the first couple of hours, as the sunlight charges up
the D-layer, which absorbs high angle 7 MHz signals.

This statement is based on my experience the past three years as one of
the 40M operators at K8MQP, with a good station in Cheboygan County.
That would cover 2005-2007, and in 2004 I was the 40M op at W8MJ, a
multi-op effort from a very good station in Livingston County, when 40M
in-state QSOs were challenging, but not impossible.  In 2003, 'MJ and I
were mobiling across the southern tier of Michigan counties and 40M was
usable for in-state QSOs.

The experts seem to be telling us that we've just recently seen the
first sunspots of Cycle 24.  Somebody here on the reflector recently
reported that a solar flux of 70 was reported for MiQP weekend.  When
you consider that zero sunspots results in a flux number of 62, a flux
of 70 isn't going to make much difference.  I have no doubt that 80/75
will be the best band for in-state QSOs next weekend.

If you haven't read it, go back and re-read the 2007 MiQP article, which
pointed out that number of 80M QSOs made in the first half of the 2007
MiQP quadrupled from 2006.  I see no reason why this trend won't
continue in 2008.

It's likely that no one single band will be "best" in MiQP 2008.  Short
distance QSOs will most likely come on 80/75, day or night.  Longer
distance QSOs will be better on 40, although 80/75 will be good at night
as well.  20 will likely be the best for multipliers from out west,
particularly during the day although 40 is certainly possible at night.
The astute MiQP operator will need a strategy to utilize the "best" band
at a given time to maximize their score.

73,

Dave/K8CC