[MiQP-Mail] W3USA/m MiQP Results

Jimk8mr at aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Thu Apr 24 16:19:54 EDT 2008

 Michigan QSO Party

Call: W3USA
Operator(s): K8MR, AC8E
Station:  W3USA

Class: Mobile Multi-Op LP
QTH: 24 Counties
Operating Time  (hrs): 12

80:  121      43
40:  431     91
20:  136     20
15:     1      1
10:     0      0
--------------------
Total:   689    155  CW Mults = 62  Ph Mults = 56  Total  Score = 180,894

Club: Mad River Radio  Club

Comments:

W3USA/M 2008 Michigan QSO Party, In order of  appearance:

CW    SSB
TUSC   25    1
SAGI    30    2
BAY    30     7
MIDL   25    2
ISAB    31    6
CLAR   28     7
GLAD   28    8
AREN    28    7
OGEM   31     4
OSCO   28    6
CRAW   32    29
ROSC   41    8
KALK    18    6
MISS   17   13
WEXF    28    5
OSCE   31     4
LAKE   28    7
NEWA    38    0
MECO   34   11
MCLM    47   14
KENT   16    6
GRAT    22    2
CLIN   37     0
SHIA   17    0

Mults: CW    SSB
S/P    41    34
Ctys    21    22

If you can't have sunspots, at least have a  low K/A index! This was my
biggest
MiQP score since 2004, and the third  overall of 9 going back to 2000. Only
2003
and 2004 were higher.

The  route was much the same as last year, though some of the details changed.
My  usual driver Jim, W8DRZ, was recovering from a cataract operation, so  I
recruited John, AC8E, as the designated driver. The 12 year old minivan  which
gets 21 mpg was replaced by my 2007 Honda Fit, which gets 35+. So N9NE  (in
his
Yaris) and I competed for the qsos/car size award. Fittingly, my last  qso was
with Todd, our only one of the day. And once again we did the whole  trip in
one
day, leaving my house at 6:30 am and arriving back at John's at  3:45 am. My
back
is still recovering.

Knowing that N8MR was to be out  mobile, I decided that one Eight Mike Radio
Mobile was enough, so I used the  W3USA club call. It worked out fine, even
being out of the normal call  area.

QSOs of note:

OM2VL who moved my from CW to SSB not only on  20 meters, but on 40 as well.
We
completed several 40 meter SSB qsos, simplex  around 7190.  If your state qso
party hasn't moved its 40 meter phone  frequency down since the phone bands
expanded, you ought to.  It's  easier for a mobile to hit both modes, and
there
are Europeans out there to  work as well.

My 15 meter qsos were with K8EO as I passed though his  home county, Gladwin.
called him on 2 meter FM, and we qsy'd to the easiest  quiet band for a double
mult.

Best timing award:  While stopped  at an isolated place in Oscoda county, I
decided to relieve myself outside  the car during a slow period on 20 CW. Of
course once I got going, who else  calls in but N4 Be Pee.

Sorry about all the Ohio guys that were just too close to work on 40  meters.
W8HH in Marietta was loud enough, but that was only one qso.    W8TM in Cinci
was there regularly as I changed counties. Paul was always weak,  but I don't
know if that was the band or his QRP.

Thanks to all who  followed us around and called in.  See you all in Dayton,
and
in the  Ohio QSO Party on August 23.

73  -  Jim  K8MR

listings at AOL Autos.