[MiQP-Mail] Rover category

Jimk8mr at aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Fri Apr 25 15:51:26 EDT 2008

Down here in Ohio we have the rover category. In Michigan there  is not, or
at least not yet.  Vive le difference!

I do think the rover concept has a lot going for it. A couple of hours with
a dipole and anybody who cares will work that county, especially on SSB.
That's  not the case with mobiles, as hard as we try!   Look at what K9TM  did from
Monroe county with what would be a very typical rover station.   Imagine if
he had started over fresh a couple of times!

A low dipole operation will become much more fun in a year or so when 40
returns as an in-state band. One of my coolest operating experiences was as a
rover a few years back in the PA QSO Party, when I was running 150/hr on 40  SSB
from Juniata county, including a number of "thanks for the last county"
qsos. Right now, trying to run guys in IL or PA just doesn't stir up the same
interest.

And with gas prices pushing $4 a gallon, a shorter trip makes a lot of  sense.

In the meantime, feel free to go roving anyway.  I did not wait for  the ARRL
to establish a "single op - multi station" category in SS.  I just  did it,
and have a lot of fun doing it. The same goes for roving in MiQP.

73  -  Jim   K8MR

In a message dated 4/25/2008 3:18:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,