[MiQP-Mail] MIQP rover

hank k8dd k8dd at arrl.net
Sat Apr 26 13:57:55 EDT 2008

 I think what makes MIQP so good now, is its simplicity.

I think of it like this. Have you ever had a nice simple project to do at
work? The project is simple, easily understood by everyone and works well
when completed. Then you have someone weigh in and say, "why don't you add X
to the project" and a few more people say "let's add this, that and the
other to it". Pretty soon your nice simple project, that was working well to
begin with, becomes so complex and confusing that its essentially broken.
That's what happens when you start adding too many categories to a qso
party.

There are many guys who intentionally go out and set up a fixed operation in
a rare county to put it on for the entire contest. I've done it from Arenac
and Roscommon several times. The reason for doing it was the fun of getting
out of the house after a long winter and playing radio in a different
location, not because of the possibility of getting a plaque.

A lot of the other qso parties seem very convoluted to me. I think that's
what happens when hams who are not contesters get involved in making the
rules for a contest. This isn't a "shot" at anyone in particular.

I think MiQP has hit its stride and is running along quite nicely. People
know what to expect from it and make their plans accordingly.

I guess what I'm saying is we keep getting more and more participation every
year, don't screw it up with a bunch of screwball categories!

Ian K8MM

--

'Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their
level then beat you with experience.' -anon