[MiQP-Mail] CW contacts in the CW portion of the band

hank k8dd k8dd at arrl.net
Fri Mar 27 22:33:16 EDT 2009

In the rules 8. (b) says:
No cross-mode contacts.  Both stations must be using the same mode of
transmission.  Also, CW contacts must be made in the CW portions of the
band.

An interesting point was brought up:
"... if CW is permitted in all of the band, why cannot one switch from SSB-
PHONE to  CW  and comply with the rule without changing frequency?"

Good point and it's a loophole.  The intent of the rule was, but it does not
say, CW contacts must be made in the CW *only* portions of the band.

The CW portion of the band is every where you can operate on the band for
your class of license.

What will happen in log checking if a CW contact is made on, for example,
3805?  I don't know .... it should probably count but I can possibly see a
change in the wording next year.

73    Hank    K8DD