[MiQP-Mail] W8CAR mobile score and story

Dan Kovatch w8car at buckeye-express.com
Sun Apr 18 17:32:07 EDT 2010

             Michigan QSO Party

Call: W8CAR
Operator(s): W8CAR
Station: W8CAR

Class: Mobile Solo Op LP
QTH: mi
Operating Time (hrs): 9ish

   80:  139     2
   40:  141     3
   20:   91     1
   15:
   10:
--------------------
Total:  371     6  CW Mults = 61  Ph Mults = 6  Total Score = 50,250

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

Hard to operate while driving( and stopping) through some of the most
beautiful
lake areas in the world. If I had a rod with me there would have only been 1
county activated!!

All was well in the W8CAR mobile QSO party battle wagon as I readied to
start the MIQP in a Lowes parking lot in BERR. I had arrived early and was
poised to make a great start. Alas, it was not to be, 5 minutes before the
start of the test the radio locked key down and the only solution was to
reboot EVERYthing. This problem continued to plague me for the rest of the
contest. Later I would find that rebooting the USBII would temporarily solve
the problem. The problem only happened on 40 meters. I also found that I had
a very high noise level on all bands. It only took 5 counties to figure out
that I had the preamp on (never needed on 80-10). But that still left me
with some noise that was finally determined to be coming from the USBII.
Apparently, my grounding system (and is not very good to begin with) did not
include the laptop-that will be fixed soon. Kudos to Joe, W4TV from Microham
for answering an email on Sunday!!!

However, I did manage contacts and as the day moved on the condx seemed to
get better. The route I had planned worked well and seemed almost perfect
for a solo op run. For any who are looking for a good free program I found
'TYRE' that works well with my Tom-Tom-just mark your route with dots-rename
them if you wish and load it into your GPS thingie and away you go. 20 was
surprising and I must have worked more DX than ever. DL3DXX must be in my
log 10 times and once on 40! I worked more counties than last year as 80 had
good short skip and in several counties I worked locals-great job in getting
the activity up.

My wife asked how much time I spent getting ready for the contest and I said
about 12 hours already.  She nodded knowingly and said something to the
effect that all good things take more time than you think. In the end I had
a great time and thanks again to all the guys who worked me in all the
different counties.

Don't forget OQP is only 4 months away!!! PLUS, we may have just as many
deer as MI ;} Seriously, can K8MR count the deer as a county mult?! RULE
CHANGE-anyone who hits a deer gets bonus points!!! (Need state trooper
verification)

Kudos to all who worked hard to get everyone on and excited about a fun
party!

Dan W8CAR