[MiQP-Mail] N0IJ SOHP Wisconsin

JBaumgarte at aol.com JBaumgarte at aol.com
Sun Apr 18 18:36:50 EDT 2010

What a fun day.  Here's my report posted on 3830.

                    Michigan QSO Party

Call: N0IJ
Operator(s): N0IJ
Station:  N0IJ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WISCONSIN
Operating Time (hrs): 9.75  S/B 10.75

80:    70     92
40:    63     83
20:     4      0
15:
10:
--------------------
Total:  137    175  CW  Mults = 60  Ph Mults = 64  Total Score = 55,676

Club: Minnesota  Wireless Association

Comments:

This one just about didn't  happen!  On my way out to my lake station in
far NW
Wisconsin (36 miles  from home in Duluth, MN) had serious flat tire and
ended up
losing over an  hour at the start and the resultant loss of a few counties.
 In
spite of  that downer, had a great time and it was lots of fun jumping from
CW
to  SSB.  Only a good antenna and high power allowed the 4 contacts on 20
with
the predictable big fixed stations, so was surprised I did as well as I
did.
Used low (50') rotatable dipole on 40 and my only antenna on 80 is a 4
Square,
which surprisingly did pretty well for this close in stuff.  It  didn't take
long once I got on to figure out that the guy to beat from  outside was
N4PN.
Played catch up and almost made it, but think Paul  probably came out on
top.
Congrats, Paul.  Would have been nice to have  20, but think I had some
better
opportunities on the low bands.  Enjoyed  following the mobiles using the
schedule from K8DD (thanks), but never heard  WI9WI!  All the rest were
pretty
much on schedule.  Couldn't hear  the UP guys for the first 2-3 hours (2
almost
esp Q's with K8IR and NE9U  excepted), but they really came through in the
later
times.  Jim, K8MR,  was strong 95% of the time and his abilities and
resourcefullness are really  amazing!  The mobiles obviously made the
contest
really fun, and all are  to be commended for a long day and good work.

Mobiles stats  are:  K8MR 33q'S IN 16 COUNTIES, 20CW/13PH, K8IR 18 IN 12
(13C/5P), NE9U  17 IN 10 (10C/7P), W8CAR 12 IN 7 (10C/2P) **noticed you
only had
6 phone q's  so honored to have 2 of these!), N9NE 7 IN 3 (4C/3P), W8JJ 5
IN 5
ALL CW,  W8RU 3 IN 2 (1C/2P).  All the mobiles were very willing to go to
the
other mode when conditions allowed, which was really helpful, hopefully  to
us
both.

I probably did more mult moving in this contest  than I have ever done!
Nice
showing by the fixed stations as ssb cqing  quite worthwhile.  Less so on
cw.

Not sure how to rate conditions,  but heard EU stations calling the fixed
guys
and K8MR on 20, 40 and even 80.  80 did get noisy at times.

All in all, a very fun contest and hats off to  MRRC as sponsor.  Thanks
for all
the Q's.

73
John,  N0IJ