[MiQP-Mail] K8IR/M 2010 MIQP

Jim Callow jcallow at k8ir.com
Mon Apr 19 21:30:36 EDT 2010

                    Michigan QSO Party

Call: K8IR/M
Operator(s): K8IR
Station: K8IR/M

Class: Mobile Multi-Op LP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs): 12

   80:  263     31
   40:  288     10
   20:  166      9
   15:
   10:
--------------------
Total:  717     50  CW Mults = 67  Ph Mults = 32  Total Score = 146,916

Club: M&M ARC

Comments:

Congratulations to K8MR on another great score!

We added over 100 QSOs to last year's total, helped by heading below the bridge
for several extra counties. The mults were the same as last year. From the
numbers, it looks like 40 wasn't as good as last year (nor anywhere close to
what it was a month ago during WIQP), but a fairly quiet 80 meters made up for
it.  I probably erred in not getting to 80/75 earlier, but we had a lot of
power line noise in the western and central U-P, and it was hard enough hearing
on 40 and 20.

Murphy did visit as the computer locked up a few times mid-QSO, and then
locked up for good in Antrim County.  We lost about 25 minutes setting up the
backup computer, which decided not to talk to the radio, so I decided to stay
on 80 CW from that point on. Fortunately, there was plenty of business on 80
for the last 4 counties.

I suspect a lot of people needed ALPE, since the pileup was especially
deafening in that county.  Conditions were quite amazing on 80. OM2VL was as
loud as many stateside stations, and DL3DXX wasn't far behind. Both were in the
log 3 times on 80 in the last hour or so.  N0IJ was tops in the log with 18
QSO's, one ahead of N6MU and WB2ABD. Amazingly DL3DXX was tied for 4th with
W8EDU at 16. In all, we had over 40 DX QSO's in the log.

The trip was pretty uneventful, a little windy at the start.  We saw a few
deer, but fortunately they stared at us from the ditches. No exotic wildlife
this year. We did see quite a few law enforcement vehicles.  On two occasions,
state troopers in the U-P decided we were interesting enough to follow for
several miles, but didn't stop us.

My thanks again to Eric, KG9GH who supplied his vehicle and his expert
navigation.  We arrived in the last county with 25 minutes to go, right on
schedule.

Thanks to all who called in.

73
Jim