[MiQP-Mail] Question about DX Clusters for MIQP

Hank Greeb n8xx at arrl.org
Sat Apr 9 15:27:23 EDT 2011

Dave, et. al:

I read that use of DX Clusters, etc., are verboten for assistance for
Single Op stations for MiQP.

Question:  Is it permissible tot send a spot TO a DX cluster so someone
can find a rare county, if one shuts off incoming spots at the entry
point for the DX cluster network?  I've heard there's a way to turn off
the incoming spots from my favorite DX Cluster, and will pursue details
if it won't get me into trouble when operation SOAB QRP.

I realize this would be impossible to verify from afar.  However, I do
know that a few times when N8Q was spotted during MiQP and OQP last
year, there was a semi-pileup because I was in a very rare county, so
others might benefit if I found a usually rare county and put it on the
DX cluster network..  I thought I'd find a way into the internet in
HENRy County because they have Village wide WiFi in McClure, but, ALAS,
it was impossible to subscribe unless I had a permanent address in the
village.  (In OQP, use of spotting networks is permissible, so I was
anticipating the ability to learn about rare counties, etc., and help by
spotting rare counties I found.)

This year in MECOsta County I'll be in a location with superspeed hard
wired internet.  I could spot various rare counties if this were
permissible, presuming I can figure out how to stop incoming spots from
the cluster.

73 de n8xx Hg
Operating as K6JSS/MECO during MIQP 2011