[MiQP-Mail] N0IJ SO HP Wisconsin

JBaumgarte at aol.com JBaumgarte at aol.com
Sun Apr 17 15:05:33 EDT 2011

 Michigan QSO Party

Call: N0IJ
Operator(s): N0IJ
Station:  N0IJ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs):  10

80:    32     55
40:    77     90
20:
15:
10:
--------------------
Total:  109    145  CW  Mults = 57  Ph Mults = 54  Total Score = 40,293

Club: Minnesota  Wireless Association

Comments:

Fun contest as always, but too bad  I had a brain fade and adjusted the
difference from EDST to CDST the wrong  way and didn't get to my remote
station
until it was too late!  Lost  almost 2 full hours.

Last year, it was easy to keep track of the  competition--mainly N4PN, as we
were on the same 40 meter guys all day.   This year, it was like two
different
contests.  I never heard the  leaders until near the end--never!  Also, last
year there was activity  on 80 during the day, so the total lack of 20 meter
propagation for us in  close guys wasn't so serious.  This year, from far NW
Wisconsin, it was  a one band contest until it got nearly dark, and 80 came
life (a  bit).  Obviously, 20 was pretty good for those far enough away, so
 the
very few active mobiles spent a lot of time there, and there were periods
of
pretty quiet activity.  I had K8MR 33 times last year, and only(!) 21  this
year.  Jim does an incredible job and is a joy to listen to.   Being a
mobile
contester myself, listening to his dexterity is pretty  cool.  The other
Jim,
K8IR, also does very well, and even though, the  path to the UP seems to be
not
so hot on 40 early, we managed 10 Q's.   N9JF was in 5 times and W8FSM 1 to
complete the mobile activity!  Missed  NE9U this year. A few more mobiles
in the
LP would surely be a plus for this  contest.  The fixed activity was
excellent
and the multiple K6JSS guys  did a great job--especially as they were all
QRP.

All in all, a neat  event and big thanks to the MRRC guys for their efforts.

73,
John,  N0IJ