[MiQP-Mail] K8IR/M

Jim Callow jcallow at k8ir.com
Sun Apr 17 21:30:30 EDT 2011

                  Michigan QSO Party

Call: K8IR/M
Operator(s): K8IR KG9GH  N9JUD
Station: K8IR/M

Class: Mobile Multi-Op LP
QTH: UP
Operating Time (hrs): 11.5

   80:  103      2
   40:  258     34
   20:  278     15
   15:   14
   10:
--------------------
Total:  653     51  CW Mults = 69  Ph Mults = 31  Total Score = 135,700

Club: M&M ARC

Comments:

At the top, I need to thank my drivers: Eric, KG9GH, who has been with me for 5
years, and Chris, N9JUD, came along to find out what this contesting is all
about.  We started in the rain, and spent the last half of the route in an
April snowstorm. Eric and Chris are the heroes for taking care of the hard
part. I just came along for the ride.

The weather slowed us down so that we missed the last two planned counties. We
hit DICK at 0402. It also affected us in other ways. I had a couple of good
runs on 40 phone earlier in the contest, but I discovered in Houghton County
that no one could seem to hear us, except for ourselves, as distorted audio was
coming through the car radio speakers (the radio was off).  There seemed to be
some RF feedback when using the 75/40 meter phone antenna.  I had to turn down
requests for SSB later in the contest.  We checked the system this morning
before taking down the antennas, and all was well, again.  I'm thinking the
ice/snow buildup on the antenna and guy ropes may have caused the problem.
Hopefully I won't have to worry about antenna icing again for several years.

On to the contest.  What a difference a few sunspots make.  20 was smoking,
with some huge pileups of both US stations and DX.  We had 9 EU countries in
the log.  It was nice to see 15 open again.   40 was in good shape with plenty
of activity up to the end.  80/75 activity was scarce during the day.  They
were noisy enough at night that we had a hard time being heard, although there
was a pipeline into nearby Wisconsin.

The log by county:

DELT 50
SCHO 72
MACK 45
CHIP 44
LUCE 41
ALGE 57
MARQ 56
BARA 68
HOUG 63
KEWE 52
ONTO 57
GOGE 25
IRON 74

Thanks to everyone who called in and especially to those who followed us around
the route. At least 10 stations were in the log 10 or more times. K8MFO found us
the most, 17 times.

It was my 10th MIQP trip, and certainly one of the most memorable.  I'm ready
for spring, but there's more snow in the forecast this week!

73
Jim