[MiQP-Mail] Posting from Todd, N9NE

David Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Fri Apr 22 00:09:54 EDT 2011

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Posting?
Date: 	Mon, 18 Apr 2011 15:52:32 -0500
From: 	Todd Fonstad <tfonstad at gmail.com>
To: 	David Pruett <k8cc at comcast.net>

/Dave,

I was unable to post this to the MIQP reflector so am asking if you
would do this for me.

Sorry not to have been able to run mobile this year, but it's nothing
against MI, as I also did not run mobile in our own WIQP last month for
health reasons (still recuperating).

Hope to be around for next year's run!/ /

73
Todd
N9NE

p.s. I'll get my sorry log to the club in the next few days.

Please post this if possible:/

Greetings,

I stayed put here in the sticks of central WI after deciding a long
round-trip to the UP in addition to the 12 hours of solo-mobile
operation was a bit much this year. I am recovering from back surgery,
and Friday night and Saturday turned out to be winter (either late or
early....) with sleet, snow, and high winds.  Gas prices are running
amok again. Running mobile in the rarer western UP counties has always
been a 'high', but the contest here was not a thing of joy ... sorry!
My antennas and the ladderline to the 176' doublet were iced over at the
beginning of the event, resulting in high SWR. 40M was really the only
band open, although I did make a number of contacts on 75/80 later on.
It appears that 20M was in fine shape, but of course that didn't help us
inside the skip zone. I just couldn't get mentally cranked up for this
one and probably put in 5 or 6 hours of on-and-off operation.

The absence of four 'usual' mobiles that I can think of off the top of
my head -NE9U, WI9WI, W1NN, and myself- probably didn't help the MIQP
overall. Hats off to the 'regulars' who made the trip.

It was a joy to hear and work the young folks at various stations ...
welcome to the hobby!

Here's my sorry stats. Setup was a K3 at 100W to the doublet and a 40M
yagi at 70'.  Oh yes ... I use N1MM and discovered to my chagrin halfway
through the contest that I had 'QSY erases QSO' selected. When I failed
to log the contact by hitting enter before making a QSY, the contact was
not recorded. I kept running into folks telling me that we had duped,
and I finally figured out what was going on. Probably lost 10 to 20
contacts that way.

SUMMARY:

   Band       CW             SSB

     80         24               13