[MiQP-Mail] MiQP 2011

Hank Greeb n8xx at arrl.org
Tue Feb 8 16:49:26 EST 2011

Randy:

Thanks for trying to stir up interest.  That's always a good thing!

I'm trying to organize a bunch of QRP ops the partook of the MIQP as
K6JSS/8/COUNTY, where "county" can be any of the counties in Michigan.
We'll be having an annual meeting of the Michigan QRP Club @ Marshall
Hamfest on the 19th of March, which will include a strategy and
recruitment session for MiQP.

Why K6JSS, you might ask?  Well, K6JSS was THE founder of QRP Amateur
Radio Club International some 50 years ago, and K6JSS is now the club
call for QRPARCI.  That group has a goal to have operators in each of
the 50 states, plus Puerto Rico activate during a week during this
Golden Jubilee year.  It was a "natural" to choose the week of the MiQP
for operating in Michigan, because that will be when a number of other
stations will be on from Michigan, and folks will be looking for
Michigan.  I've just started soliciting operators for this effort, but
other states have had between 2 and several dozen stations active during
"their" week, so I'm hopeful we can get a good representation of QRP ops
from Michigan.

Folks @ ARRL HQ say it is perfectly legal to operate multiple stations
with the same call letters at the same time from geographically
different locations.  It is the customary to identify one's location
with /COUNTY, particularly if one has a call prefix other than "8", so
this shouldn't confuse the participants.  The goal is to have one fixed
station operating as  K6JSS/8 in each county - but we all know this will
be impossible.

I'll either be @ the W8LRC clubhouse, they have a 100' tower and 40 thru
10 metre beam, which might give a pipsqueak signal an advantage, or, if
we can muster enough ops there, I'll run up to Mecosta County and set a
new record for QRP operation from that county.  (Yes, I looked, and
there's been no other QRP entry from Mecosta, so, unless someone else
challenges me, it will be a shoo in. :)

73 de n8xx Hg
Operating as K6JSS/8/County  (where county will be either KENT or MECO)
during MiQP 2011

p.s.  If you're heading WAY north, you could either stop in Hell (near
Ann Arbor) or Paradise (in the upper peninsula).  We have both in
Michigan. Hell is farther south, so that may not fit your criteria for
WAY north! :)