[MiQP-Mail] NE9U M/O MOBILE

NE9U - Jasper skjasper at att.net
Wed Apr 24 17:23:08 CDT 2013

Michigan QSO Party

Call: NE9U
Operator(s): NE9U KK9K N9BCA
Station: NE9U

Class: Mobile Multi-Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 12

   80:  134      3
   40:  513    108
   20:  139     30
   15:
   10:
--------------------
Total:  786    141  CW Mults = 76  Ph Mults = 63  Total Score = 236,439

Club: Central Wisconsin Radio Amateurs

Comments:

Well, that was fun!

A record setting year for the NE9U/m group.  TRLog says we beat the old MIQP
mobile op record.  K8MR smashed it though!  Tough to match his rate of running
through a lot of the same guys in 30 counties compared to our 14, but we tried!
 :-)

Back in February, KK9K came up with an idea for a new high gain vertical
antenna for our mobile operation.  We built it and it worked so well we decided
to give it a try in the MiQP.  For Michigan, since mults count on both modes, we
decided to install a couple more antennas for quick QSY to SSB.  However never
could get them to act properly and after hours of last minute finagling, we
gave up and only used our one antenna all day long.  Seemed to work OK.  We
also attempted to use a few other new options, but in the end punted and used
our exact WQP setup.  Seemed to work OK, but we have big plans for next year!
:-)

One of our new enhancements was to use KK9K's 1994 3 row seat Suburban as our
vehicle as itâ?Ts much smoother and roomy that N9BCA's Jeep.  After punting on
some of our radio/antenna enhancements we started out for Ronâ?Ts Cabin in
Northern Wisconsin.  About a 1/3 of the way there, the exhaust system fell
apart and we couldnâ?Tt hear ourselves think let alone copy Morse code!  So
unfortunately we had to turn around and switch back to N9BCA's Jeep.  Since it
was already almost 9:00, we decided to get our traditional Steak and call it an
evening back in Stevens Point.

The next morning we re-outfitted N9BCA's jeep and headed off to Michigan about
7:00 AM.  Got into Iron County right before kick-off.  Since we had heard
Gogebic and Ontonagon counties got dumped on with snow Friday night, we revised
our plans and drove counter-clockwise around the U.P. instead of our original
Clockwise plan to give the roads in the western portion time to be plowed and
melt.  The idea worked out as we had good roads all day long.

During the contest, everything went pretty smooth.  Wish the counties in the
U.P. were smaller so we could keep the rate meter up!  But because we were in
each county for a long time, we were able to dig deeper into the pileups and I
think we actually out-multed K8MR.....it didnâ?Tt compensate for his qso totals
though!

One of NE9U's highlights was being able to give SM7ZDI his last Michigan County
(Luce).  In WQP we gave him his second to last (Florence) and hope to give him
his last this summer (Menomonee).

N9BCA says this was about our 23rd year of doing QSO parties together.  Lots of
fun experiences!

After the contest, we went back towards KK9K's.  On the way he cell phoned the
local watering hole and convinced them to stay open for us so we could get some
of their world famous Pizza and a couple 807's!  Thank you to the PI Pub!

Thanks to everyone for calling in.  Hope to hear you all in 2014!

Scott  NE9U
Ron  KK9K
Art  N9BCA