[MiQP-Mail] MiQP 2013 - Submit Your Log

David Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Sat Apr 27 11:14:35 CDT 2013

HTML clipboard

** The 2013 MiQP Is Now History **

** It Is Time To Submit Your Log **

The 2013 Michigan QSO Party last weekend experienced excellent
conditions and activity.  Within a week of the contest, over 200 logs
had already been submitted. Now would be a great time to submit YOUR
2013 MiQP log prior to the *May 20, 2013* log deadline.

These days, most of us use our computers to log our contest activity,
and simply e-mail our log file to the contest sponsors.  While paper
MiQP logs will always be accepted, electronic logs allow us to check and
score MiQP much more accurately in less time and effort.  But
participants sometimes make errors with their e-mailed entries, and
unraveling these errors to achieve a fair and accurate log checking
result consumes a tremendous amount of effort on the part of the log
checkers (and in some cases, we can't correct these errors by ourselves).

Beginning in 2012, MiQP instituted an improved process for submitting
electronic logs: the *MiQP Log Submission Page*.  Instead of e-mailing a
log, the MiQP entrant goes to this page, types in the callsign they used
during the contest and e-mail address, then selects their contest
category, operating location, and club name from drop down lists,
browses to find their log file on their computer and finally presses an
on-screen button to submit their log.

The web page automatically scans the submitted log, checking that all
the necessary information is present and seems correct, then performs a
quick scoring check of the log.  If the log has problems the entrant is
informed that the log was not accepted and is shown suggestions how to
correct the errors. If there are no problems, the log is saved, the
entrant is shown the results of the quick scoring check, a confirmation
e-mail is automatically sent to the entrant and the entry is
automatically added to the "Logs Received" page on the web site.

*Beginning with the 2014 MiQP, the Log Submission Page will be the only
method for submitting electronic MiQP logs.*  As always, paper logs will
continue to be accepted, and the MiQP log checking staff will continue
to be available via e-mail to assist entrants having difficulty
correcting and submitting their logs.

It has been asked why we created this web page to accept logs?  The main
reason is that it allows us to inform the entrant of problems with their
log immediately, not days or weeks later when the log checkers get
around to working on it. In 2012, an entrant sent in a nice log with 159
QSOs, however all but one QSO had a received QSO number of "00", which
is invalid.  Presuming this to be an error with his logging program, we
sent the entrant an e-mail informing him of the problem and inviting him
to submit a corrected log.  The entrant never followed up, and so his
final 2012 MiQP score was based only on the one valid QSO.

Secondary benefits of the Log Submission page are that it relieves the
log checking team of a lot of tedious, manual handling of the received
entries, and allows the entrant to receive better, quicker feedback
concerning their entry.

So, *PLEASE USE THE LOG SUBMISSION PAGE FOR YOUR 2013 MiQP ENTRY*.  The
link to this page can be found to the upper left of the main MiQP web
page screen, under "Contents", "2013 Submit Log".  If you have
difficulties using the page, drop an e-mail to the log checking staff at
logs at miqp.org <mailto:logs at miqp.org>.

Finally, two brief caveats to using the Log Submission page. First, the
score summary that it reports is only a rough check that the data in the
log is realistic, it is not the final log checking result and score.
While it accurately counts duplicate QSOs, it doesn't recognize
non-official multiplier abbreviations (ex: "Ohio" instead of "OH").  The
official log checking goes to much greater lengths to identify
non-official abbreviations and the final score will be accurate.

Second, if you cannot find your club name in the pull down box, simply
choose "N/A" and we'll use the actual club name from the file.  We try
very hard to ensure the list reflects clubs which historically are
active in MiQP, however there are always clubs showing up for the first
time.  If your club is not on the list, make sure we can correctly
identify the club name in your file.  Don't use abbreviations or
acronyms for your local clubs which we are likely not familiar with.

73,

MiQP Organizing Committee