[MiQP-Mail] Only Four Weeks until the Michigan QSO Party!

Hank Greeb n8xx at arrl.org
Fri Mar 22 14:52:49 CDT 2013

The recent message from the Ontario Folks about their Ontario QSO Party
jogged the (lack of) grey matter between my ears, and reminded me that
we have the Michigan QSO Party coming up on April 20, from 1600Z, until
April 21, at 0359Z.

I'm planning to be out with my "mighty five watts" to a hex beam for
20/15/10 - which might help a bit for those bands, and a typical "cloud
warmer" antenna for 80 and 40 meters.  I'll be operating with the QRP
Amateur Radio Club International Club Station Call K6JSS/IONI from a few
miles south of Saranac in Ionia County.   I'd appreciate anyone working
me to spot me on the DX Cluster network.  I'm not sure I'll have
Internet Access from the "host site", but if I do,  and if the rig there
has connectivity to a computer, I'll be spotting stations as I work them
when doing S&P.   In past years I've"suffered" an avalanche of calls
after being spotted by stations, which is a terrible thing to happen to
anyone, particularly the operator of a QRP station. :)

Lest the organizers of the MIQP get in a tizzy and tell me that use of
spotting networks is NOT allowed for Single Op Stations, be advised that
I've learned the "trick" of turning off incoming spots, so I will
personally NOT get assistance from the spotting network.  I'm assuming
that I may spot folks I work, but am not allowed to receive spots.  If
my understanding is incorrect, please refer me to the rules which
specifies otherwise.

I'd encourage all Single Op stations with internet access to consult
their local DX cluster, and figure out the command to turn off incoming
spots.   Right now I don't remember the details, and don't need to know
until 1559.59Z April 20, so I'm not about to look it up at this point.

Please "talk up" MiQP at your local Radio Club meetings, and to fellow
hams with whom you have contact.  Lettuce make MiQP 2013 the biggest and
best ever!

72/73 de n8xx Hg
QRP >99.44% of the time