[MiQP-Mail] Anyone for Michigan QSO Party?

Jeremy Reese sooliner at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 10:56:21 CDT 2014

Hi Hank and everyone,

Hadn't really looked closely at the results and didn't realize the county
count was that low.  I didn't look at what my total worked counties were, I
didn't get much in the western UP and not sure about downstate.  I passed
two other mobile runners while running the contest and got a chance to talk
with them and get some ideas (even though the CW isn't an option, yet,
hihi).  It would be great if all counties could get activated, I am a
county hunter as well and like to work QSO parties to get the counties.
 The extra points are very nice too.

I wholeheartedly agree with getting the word out on the contest.  I was
going to write up an article immediately after the contest, but got
sidetracked and didn't get it done.  When I took over as our local club
newsletter editor, "he" was looking for articles and thought I would finish
it up.  I didn't take an interior shot of the setup, but will be including
that in a future article on mobile ops.  If you are a member of a club, a
short article on your experiences is a great way to help get interest in
the contest.  I uploaded our newsletter, and my article is on page 4 at:
http://webpages.charter.net/reesjr23/Airscoop%20201403.pdf

One thing that I would like to really encourage too, which I ran into last
year, is be very familiar with the rules.  I know some people don't like to
read manuals, personally I keep my TS-480 and IC-208h manuals in the car
and refer to them often.  I was told on several occasions that I was a
dupe, and had to explain that as a mobile when I jumped a county line that
I could be worked again from the new county.  Some sounded skeptical even
after I explained it, and and late in the contest I worked several stations
that kept tabs on my progress to get a new county/band, which being alone
in the car for that long and many miles made the trip more enjoyable.  I
really do highly stress to keep a printout of the rules and the Operating
Tips handy so you are ready to contest.

With only 3 weeks until the contest, I hope everyone is getting their final
preparations together.  I am ordering a programmable controller for my
Little Tarheel II (probably upgrading to a larger style next year for
better 40/80M ops for next year) and have that installed for the contest.
 Make switching bands much more painless and hopefully quicker than
listening to the noise levels.  My new laptop batteries are here, along
with a new charger and the updated N3FJP software installed and tested.

Very excited for the contest and hope to work everyone at least once, maybe
a few times on different bands/counties.

73,

Jeremy, N8YP/m
Escanaba, MI
Vice President / Newsletter Editor