[MiQP-Mail] K0RC QSO Party Tool is OK for MiQP

David Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Fri Apr 10 22:26:23 CDT 2015

Hank,

Pre-contest planning aids such as K0RC Excel tool are completely within
the spirit and intent of the MiQP rules.  What is not allowed is another
person providing information in real time during the contest, either
directly or through automated means.

Speaking as someone who has operated MiQP mobile from all 83 Michigan
Counties, (a feat in all liklihood duplicated only by my operating
partner Ken, W8MJ) trying to follow a mobile from county to county based
on a schedule put together pre-contest is like trying to nail jello to a
tree.  Weather, equipment failures and road construction can render the
most carefully planned schedule obsolete.  IMHO trying to work the
mobiles as often as possible is important to a good score, and while
Bob's tool is a useful aid, I think a good operating strategy which
recognizes when to run (to attract new counties) and when to S&P (to
find new counties) is most important.

According to my records, nobody has ever achieved a clean sweep of all
83 counties in a single weekend.  According to the records page on the
MiQP web site, K8GU in 2003 came the closest with 80 counties from
outside the state, while KR8V in MACO and N8TC from GRTR are tied for
the best from inside the state, both working 70 counties in 2013.

73, Dave/K8CC