[MiQP-Mail] K0RC QSO Party Tool is OK for MiQP

Ethan Miller K8GU ethan at k8gu.com
Sat Apr 11 12:55:41 CDT 2015

My ears were burning...

2003 was a special year for activity and conditions.  I was back from
college at my parents' place using a pretty unremarkable setup that
consisted primarily of a 40/20/15-meter fan dipole at about 25 ft, an
FT-840, a Curtis (non-memory) keyer, and a paper log.  Probably not
unlike the K0RC spreadsheets, I had laid out a paper grid estimating
when each mobile would be in each county.  Then, I relentlessly tuned
the bands (erm, band, 40 meters) both CW and phone and aggressively
courted the mobiles.

The following year, I operated from W0AIH and worked fewer counties.
Go figure.  Of course, my strategy may have been a little different
and I think condx were not as good, either.

The only thing I kicked myself for is calling my girlfriend on the
phone for about an hour late in the contest and I'm confident that at
least two of the counties I missed where hit by K8IR and K8MR during
that time.  On the other hand, we've now been married 10 years this
year so maybe the phone call was worth it.  A dedicated operator with
the right conditions should have no trouble working them all.

I'll probably get on just a little bit next weekend but not like the
good old days.  Safe travels to the mobiles and good luck to all.

73,

--Ethan, K8GU/3.

--
http://www.k8gu.com/