[MiQP-Mail] K0RC QSO Party Tool is OK for MiQP

David Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Sat Apr 11 23:09:55 CDT 2015

On 4/11/2015 9:26 AM, Hank Greeb wrote:

> "If I hear a mobile announcing that he/she will be moving to XXXX
> county in ZZ minutes, is this considered self-spotting and therefore
> against the rules? "
No, this is not considered self-spotting and is perfectly allowable
within the spirit and intent of the contest rules. Self-spotting is when
a station uses some sort of communications medium  beyond his legitimate
contest transmitter(s) to draw attention to his station's efforts to
attract QSOs *IN REAL TIME", particularly while continuing to solicit
contest QSOs.  In your example, the mobile station has stopped making
contest QSOs and is using his contest transmitter to announce WHAT HE
PLANS TO DO AT SOME FUTURE TIME (not what he's doing at the moment).

Here are some other examples (not necessarily an exhaustive list):

  * The 40M op at a multi-transmitter station stops running stations and
    announces their 80M running frequency  (NOT SELF-SPOTTING)

  * An off-duty op at a multi-single station uses the mult chaser rig to
    tell their friends the frequency of their running station
    (regardless of whether this is self-spotting or not, the
    single-transmitter rule has been violated, an equally heinous offense)

  * While calling CQ in the contest, going on the local 2M FM repeater
    and announce your operating frequency (SELF-SPOTTING)

  * Calling your buddy on your cell phone during the contest to get on
    the air and work you (SELF-SPOTTING)

  * Calling your buddy on your cell phone prior to the contest to look
    for you on the air (NOT SELF-SPOTTING, as long as you don't tell
    your buddy the frequency)

  * Asking a station during the contest to QSY to another band or
    mode(NOT SELF-SPOTTING, you're not continuing to solicit contest
    QSOs on your frequency to make the request of the station).

I won't even try to address the various forms of assistance that are
against the rules.  But for example, asking your buddy on the air to
come back and tell you if he hears a particular station or rare multiplier.

73, Dave/K8CC