[MiQP-Mail] N8K, Keweenaw County

ke7dx ke7dx at marketemporium.com
Sun Dec 6 18:47:39 CST 2015

Well, since y'all are bragging, I'll do a little of my own.  Back when I was at
MTU, worked portable out of Copper Harbor in 1980, breaking with my usual
contribution at W8YY.  Got my results from the way back machine, attached....

1980 MICHIGAN QSO PARTY
RESULTS
MICHIGAN SCORES (Listed by Call, Score and County)
W8YY 52,445 Houghton Trophy Winner
N8ADW/8 41,820 Keewenaw Certificate

> On December 5, 2015 at 4:41 AM Hank Greeb <n8xx at arrl.org> wrote:
>

> Dave:
>
> Thanks for the news. I suggest you take a look at the "Scoring Records
> Since 1999" (http://miqp.org/Records.htm) upon which which I relied for
> my information. As of yesterday, it had my record for KENT county QRP
> as N8F in 2015 is on that page, so I figured it was fully up to date.
> I know the difficulty in maintaining an up to date web page, so no
> criticism of the webmaster intended.
>
> I was first looking for a National Park to qualify for National Parks on
> the Air, and when it appeared that Fort Wilkins Historic State Park was
> included as an affiliate of Keweenaw National Historical Park AND that
> the record page showed no fixed station activity, it clinched my decision.
>
> But, my decision for KEWEenaw isn't cast in stone - in fact, I didn't
> make housing reservations yet. So, based on your updated data, I'll
> take a look at SCHOolcraft County. My plans for MIQP 2016 can change.
> Does anyone in this reflector have ideas of where a quiet cabin in the
> woods might be found in SCHOolcraft county?
>
> Thanks again for the timely update.
>
> 72/73 de n8xx Hg
> QRP >99.44% of the time
> Operating as N8* during MiQP 2016
>
> * Note - the exact call letter will be determined upon final decision as
> to the final site for the operation.
>
> On 12/5/2015 2:12 AM, David Pruett wrote:
> > On 12/4/2015 3:45 PM, Hank Greeb wrote:
> >> I've just registered to operate as N8K in next year's National Parks
> >> on the Air (NPOTA) event for ARRL between April 14 and April 21, 2016.
> >>
> >> AND, for all those who have been missing KEWEenaw County for the past
> >> years, this will be the first time that a fixed station has graced
> >> this county during the Michigan QSO party. (At least there is no
> >> record for QRP, Low Power, High Power, or Multi Op in the records
> >> page of the MiQP web site.)
> > Hank,
> >
> > While I applaud your operation from N8K, your claim of being the first
> > fixed station from Keweenaw County is not valid. W8K was active last
> > year by the Keweenaw County ARC activating their EOC with multiple
> > operators. They were even the third place EOC station and made the
> > box of top EOC scores so it's not as if their score was buried in the
> > results.
> >
> > The main page of 2015 results also mentioned W8K. The same page also
> > noted that the only remaining Michigan county to not have a reported
> > fixed station MiQP operation is Schoolcraft.
> >
> > Dave, K8CC

73,

+Gary Keck, KE7DX
Base Communications Team Leader, PCOEM Communications Group
RST ARCA Coordinator
Arizona QSO Party Coordinator
ARRL HF WAS Award Manager
ARRL Life Member
Member, Catalina Radio Club, Radio Society of Tucson, Arizona Outlaws Contest
Club