[MiQP-Mail] How about a year long recruiting/proselytizing effort?

Earl Morse n8ss_5 at yahoo.com
Tue May 31 11:36:02 CDT 2016

Looks like I am about 3 weeks behind in checking this email account.

Activity makes for a successful QSO party.  While quality is good and putting on the rare county is good, quantity is better.

Activity creates activity, if you get on for the MIQP and can only find  5 stations to work it is going to suck especially if you aren't in Michigan and don't really have the option to call CQ though I do hear people calling CQ looking for stations in a state QSO party that isn't their own state.  If you can't field enough stations that outsiders have to CQ to draw you out then it is going to be a boring QSO party.  A band full of Michiganders calling CQ will draw people into the contest whether they wanted to be there or not.

Most average hams don't know how to make close to 1000 QSOs in the MIQP.  5 bands + 2 modes = 10 possible QSOs per station.  You have to jump around a lot.  Most people are only going to get on here and there and make a few contacts.  If they are only going to make 5 QSOs you want it to be with your station.  That won't happen if you just spent the last 2 hours CQing on one band.  Know your propagation and remember to QRB (QRB? = would you like to run the bands?) especially if you are SO2R.

Casual operators like to tune around, for some reason they don't like to CQ.  I don't care for it on SSB either but have to do it out of necessity.  K5LZO once told me at XA5T, "You can't be the loudest signal on the band if you aren't transmitting."  So call CQ.  You can run faster than you can S&P, so call CQ.  If things are slow you have 4 other bands and one other mode to try.

As contesters, we all have other clubs we hang out with.  A few months before the MIQP you should have a presentation for your local club to introduce the unwashed to the MIQP and the world of radiosport.  Assume they know nothing and show them the basics of contesting, exchanges, points, and strategies.  Get them fired up and get them out of the woodwork.  I did this with the Blossomland group and they brought the club plaque home for two years with my help and in the 3rd year they pulled it out all by themselves with a win one for the Gipper push when I was having my medical problems.

We should put together a standard powerpoint presentation for anyone who would like to do a MIQP presentation to a club.  An overview as to how it works and basic strategies for operating as well as the little things like when to meet on 10 and 15 meters for a possible contact.  The goal should be to field enough MI stations so that there is no doubt that this is the MIQP weekend to anyone tuning the bands.

Earl
N8SS