[MiQP-Mail] Change in e-mail for contacting MiQP

David Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Fri Sep 30 13:54:05 CDT 2016

MiQPers:

Since the first implementation of the MiQP web page, there has been an
e-mail address "miqp at miqp.org" where people could communicate directly
with the MiQP organizers.  The address simply forwards everything it
receives to the MiQP chairman (me).

When MiQP contact e-mail was implemented, we even took a simple step to
(hopefully) protect it from scammers who search the internet for
addresses to attack with spam.  The address which appears at the bottom
of the MiQP home page is not text characters, but rather a graphic .gif
image which is not easily readable by the web crawler robots.

This system has worked very well for many years, however it appears that
the address has somehow been discovered by the web crawlers, and for the
past several months the address has been bombarded with junk mail which
are either scams or lewd and explicit.  Fortunately, I am the only one
who has had to deal with this trash - none of it was forwarded to the
MiQP e-mail reflector.

After contacting our Internet Service Provider, we were told that the
e-mail spam blockers which they have on their servers won't work on a
forwarding account, only a regular e-mail account on miqp.org.  For this
reason, as of today (September 30, 2016), we have removed the existing
miqp@ miqp.org e-mail account and replaced it with a new, regular e-mail
account "info" at "miqp.org" (all one word with the "@" symbol, of course).

For you, the user, nothing with change other than the address you use to
communicate with the MiQP organizers.  Thins change has no effect on the
MiQP e-mail reflector or the MiQP log submission web page.

This e-mail was intended to bring the change to your attention and
explain the reason behind it.  The MiQP home page will be updated
shortly after this e-mail is sent.  We apologize for any inconvenience
this change may cause.

73,

Dave Pruett, K8CC
Chairman, Michigan QSO Party