[MiQP-Mail] 80M in MIQP

Todd Fonstad tfonstad at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 4 17:31:26 EDT 2008

Hank, n8xx, wrote that "And, if 40 metres is long, I'll be checking 80/75
metres as early as 2000Z for contacts".

Indeed, y'all please do! In the WIQP on April 9th, about half my total of
547 mobile contacts were on 80M CW. The seven-hour 'test started at 1800z,
and I was already picking up in-state counties on 80M by 1830. Two hours
later, at 2030z, my 80M Q's rate was about equal to that on 40M (20M was
punk with all of 14 contacts made on it). By 2200z, 80M clearly outshone
40M. Most of the 80M contacts were made during the daylight hours and
covered close-in counties as well as most of the Midwestern and eastern
states and Ontario.

If I can outfit my little Toyota Yaris with a decent setup, (I had access to
a minivan in the WIQP) AND the weather cooperates, I'll be heading to the UP
once more for a day of sightseeing and mobile roving. Details on what RARE
Yooper counties I'll be in will follow as we get closer to the 19th.

BTW, my aunt in Marquette says that most of the snow there has melted
(except for the icy piles along the road) which is nice, considering that
the days will be getting shorter and the sun lower in the sky in just a
little over two months ;(  Four seasons there: late winter, next winter,
early winter, winter.

73
Todd
N9NE/M