[MiQP-Mail] MiQP K8IR/M Mobile Multi-Op LP

Jim Callow jcallow at k8ir.com
Sun Apr 19 18:39:46 EDT 2009

                    Michigan QSO Party

 Call: K8IR/M
Operator(s): K8IR KG9GH
Station: K8IR/M

 Class: Mobile Multi-Op LP
QTH: UP
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  80:  141     29
  40:  321     12
  20:  131     18
  15:    0      0
  10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  593     59  CW Mults = 66  Ph Mults = 31  Total Score = 120,765

Comments:

On the way home last night, I didn't think it was that good an outing.  But
after running the numbers, it looks like our second best effort in the 8
years
I've been mobile (last year was the best). I felt the first few hours were
pretty good, but when the QRN came up on 40 and 80, it became quite a
struggle.
Despite that, the 0200 hour was our best with 71 contacts.

Weatherwise, it was a day of sharp contrasts. It was in the 70's and sunny
when
we started in the southern U-P, but by the time we got to the Lake Superior
shore, it was 35 and foggy. We drove through some showers after dark. There
still was snow in the woods in many areas, and plenty of ice on the lakes.
No
unusual wildlife sitings this year, they all must have been trying to stay
warm.

Thanks to all who called in and especially to those who followed us around.
Several stations had 10 or more contacts. K8MFO was the clear leader finding
us
17 times, all on CW.

I have to thank Eric, KG9GH, my driver for the third year. We used his
vehicle
this time, and he spent much time and effort building a ground plane over
his
pickup bed for the 80 meter antenna.  We used most of the legal height above
the vehicle, and just managed to drive through the lift bridge at Houghton
which has a clearance of 14 feet. (vehicle picture on k8ir.com) Eric also
put
the GPS to good use, and got us into the last county at a comfortable 35
minutes before the end.

73
Jim K8IR