[MiQP-Mail] n8xx plans for MiQP 2009

Hank Greeb n8xx at arrl.org
Tue Mar 10 13:51:35 EDT 2009

Let me the the tooth (2nd) to announce my intentions for the upcoming
Michigan QSO party.

I plan to be amongst the first to be in the 'rover' category, where I'll
operate from two, maybe three, possibly four different counties to the
north of Kent County, using fixed antenna, attached to a battery powered
rig.  These counties include  Lake, Mecosta, Newago, and Osceola.  At this
point I'm not sure if I'll be low power or QRP.

Lake and Newago don't appear in the record book for any previous contest
for any category, so operating from these two should result in either
stirring up some locals in a competition (easily won by even a mediocre
home station), or some new wallpaper @ n8xx.  My plan will be to oscillate
between two (or more) fixed antennae, on an hourly basis, so that
propagation will favor both out of state and in-state operators.  Mobiles
which start in one county at noon, and trundle their way from county to
county, never retracing their route, are very useful in activating
counties, but it's hard for locals to work them because of the vagaries of
propagation.

Before the "powers that be" remind us all that the Michigan QSO party
doesn't have a "rover" category, let me advise the assembled multitude
that the rules allow a station to move from county to county, and each log
will be treated as separate entries.  I'll consider myself as a roving
station/operator - and, to comply with the rules, I'll enter separate logs
for the individual counties.  It will be nice to have some extra
wallpaper, or have stirred up some additional activity from otherwise rare
stations.

73 de n8xx Hg

p.s. Thanx 2 Randy, WF5X, for the "tickler"