[MiQP-Mail] MiQP K6JSS/MECO(N8XX) Single Op QRP

Hank Greeb n8xx at arrl.org
Sun Apr 17 16:38:13 EDT 2011

                     Michigan QSO Party

Call: K6JSS/MECO
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: N8XX

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: MECOsta Co
Operating Time (hrs): 9

    80:   52     39
    40:   70     19
    20:   23      3
    15:    0      0
    10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  145     61  CW Mults = 60  Ph Mults = 27  Total Score = 30,527

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

One of 9 stations operating as K6JSS/COUNty in celebration of the QRP
Amateur Radio Club International Golden Jubilee.

Each state is assigned one week of operating as K6JSS/#.  Early on,
someone asked legal gurus at ARRL HQ whether operating the same call on
the same band and mode was legal.  Tthe answer came back "As long as
each station is under local control."

This gave me the idea to request April 11-17 for Michigan's turn at the
celebration.  That would give us a chance to operate as K6JSS/8.  But,
why not combine the ability to operate the same call from several
locations to publicize QRP operation to the contesting community?  We
adopted the convention of mobiles, who usually operate as CALL/COUNty to
designate they've moved from one county to the next.  Voila!
K6JSS/COUNty in 9 locations.  A party within a QSO Party!

Some operators I contacted found it a bit incredulous that they could
work one station in the Upper Peninsula once, and a few minutes later
found me down in MECOsta county, 400 or so miles away.  I explained,
especially when on phone, that we were fixed stations, celebrating a
special event, and they seemed to understand.

Conditions in MECOsta were strange, 20 was a bit noisy, probably because
of rain, and propagation was marginal. 40 had short skip throughout the
state until well after dark.  80 was okay, but not nearly as many CW ops
there as in past years, probably because of the great conditions on 40.

All in all, a great event.  Thanks to MRRC and the MIQP organizers!

72/73 de n8xx Hg
Operated as K6JSS/MECO during MIQP 2011