[MiQP-Mail] Anyone for Michigan QSO Party?

Hank Greeb n8xx at arrl.org
Tue Mar 25 09:32:23 CDT 2014

Richards:

Thanks for your comments.  It's nice to know that people like you
actually read my messages!

It would really help if a cadre of people in the more populated areas
would look at previous years' results and picked out counties with NO or
marginal fixed stations results.   Then, either individually, or as a
group or club, organize a dx(?)pedition to that county to set up a
portable operation.   One eventual goal of the Michigan QSO Party
organizers is to solicit participation of at least one operator of a
fixed station in each county.  This is preferably a permanent resident
at his/her home.  But a significant portable operation will suffice.

In 2013, only 52 of the 83 counties were present with fixed or
"significant portable" operations. (If my parsing of the spreadsheet
report is accurate.)  So, there's a gap of 31 additional counties to
activate with fixed stations during the 2014 event.  The way with most
impact would be for each operator in the past MIQPs to be a recruiting
agent - i.e. when talking with stations in other counties, give a "plug"
for the upcoming Michigan QSO Party.  Do you have a ham friend or
relative in a sparsely populated county?  Urge her or him to get on, at
least for a few hours, during noon to midnight April 19?

Do you operate on one or more of the several organized nets?  Put out an
"all station" message, inviting them to participate.   Beat the drum,
pass the torch, shout from the highest mountain!  (You get the idea?)

All of the above should not minimize the impact of the mobile
operators.  But, with even 20, 30 or sometimes more contacts while
traversing a county, they can't do justice to the total number of
stations who would like to work a station in that county.

I'll "probably" be in MUSKegon county this year.  It will be hard to
break my last year's record from IONIa county, because there was one
significant fixed station who reported last year from MUSKegon. I've
found that it certainly helps to be the only station active within a
county!  But, with Easter being the day after the MIQP, I figure staying
near home is most prudent.

Note - last year W8M (N8MRC op) was planning to be on from IONIa
county.  Unfortunately for MiQP, he was called to help with flood relief
in the county.  Lettuce prey that the Grand River doesn't flood this
year, and that N8MRC can represent IONIa this year.

72/73 de n8xx Hg
QRP >99.44% of the time