[MiQP-Mail] W8MJ - MiQP Multi-Op

David A. Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Mon Apr 19 21:17:30 CDT 2004

                     Michigan QSO Party

Call: W8MJ
Operator(s): W8MJ, K8CC
Station: W8MJ

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: LIVI
Operating Time (hrs): 12

    80:   99     68
    40:  260    370
    20:  155    347
    15:    4     15
    10:    2      2
--------------------
Total:  520    802  CW Mults = 98  Ph Mults = 104  Total Score = 372,084

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Station 1 - 40M (K8CC):
FT-1000MP, AL-1200
40M CW dipole @ 30', 40M SSB dipole @ 30', 2L Telrex yagi @ 70'

Station 2 - 80M/20M/15M/10M (W8MJ):
FT-1000MP Field, Titan
80M CW dipole @ 50', 75M SSB dipole @ 50' 3xTH6DX @ 100'/66'/33'

After spending the last five years in MiQP mobiling to every one of
Michigan's 83 counties, we decided to stay home this time.  Livingston
County (where Ken lives) usually does not have much activity in MiQP so a
multi from here seemed like a good idea.  By cannibalizing Ken's SO2R
setup, along with a spare amp and logging computer from K8CC, we were able
to put two stations on the air.  We would have liked to had a third
station, but no point with only two ops :-(

We started on 40M and 20M, and the first hour saw 161 QSOs go into the log.
Having spent the past five MiQPs mobiling it is difficult to judge activity
levels, but this seemed pretty good to us.  40M was suffering from mid-day
absorption so many signals were weak.  20M OTOH, had pretty good signals
and activity, and was ahead of 40M most of the day.

We tried to make the recommended "activity times" on 15M and 10M with
little luck.  Later in the afternoon, some of the West Coast participants
asked us to try 15M, and we were reported as S9+30dB, but just a few people
to work.

80M was noisy with QRN, and did not see much activity until the last 2-3
hours.  Activity was helped when 40M went long in the last hour (making
in-state QSOs difficult).

Our goal before the contest was to make 1000 QSOs and 200 mults with two
rigs.  We were very pleased with the QSO total, as the activity held up and
nine of the twelve contest hours yielded 100+ QSOs.  The mult goal came
down to the wire and in the end we had to become more dilligent in asking
stations to QSY modes for additional mults.

This was the first ever multi-op from W8MJ, and only the second or third
time that legal-limit power has been used in a full-tilt contest
effort.  We were pleased that by using ICE bandpass filters on the radios,
there was zero inter-station interference.

Thanks to everyone for the QSOs.  It was a blast.

73,

Ken, W8MJ
Dave, K8CC