[MiQP-Mail] K8MR/m MiQP Report

Jimk8mr at aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Tue Apr 20 09:17:31 CDT 2004

20Z       75
21Z       99
22Z       69
23Z       74
00Z       116
01Z       105
02Z       102
03Z       104

For once it was nice not to have a week of flares, auroras, etc., preceeding
and during the MiQP.  However the declining solar flux was evident as skip was
longer and the high bands were useless. (Though I did work F5IN on 15 cw in
the YU contest while driving north on Saturday morning).  The 15 and 10 meter
qsos were with N8OS as we drove by in Cheboygan county.  I heard but couldn't
raise W8MJ in the late afternoon on 15 SSB; he then announced he was qsying to
CW,  but he couldn't hear me there either.

We set up the antennas Saturday morning in light rain in Saginaw, but got
into clear skies by the time we started in OTSE.  The equipment worked
flawlessly, and had only one missed turn, in OGEM, but quickly discovered the error and
backtracked with no significant harm.

FB activity and great pileups.  The NA 10 qso timer peaked out at 210/hr on
40 CW at 0005z in ROSC and at 327/hr on 40 SSB at 0029z in OGEM.  Interestingly
the 210 burst in ROSC was not a new-county peak, but rather started with 45
qsos already in the log.

It was disappointing that multipliers was down 29 from last year, and
therefore the score was down 10%.  In state CW counties were off the most, down from
37 to 19.  I worked WT9U just before the contest and never heard him again,
nor did I ever hear AF8A.  I did manage about 6 qsos with K8IR and one with
K8MW.

Since I started mobile contesting in 2000, the 1000 qso mark in the 12 hour
MQP/OQP format has been my goal.  We finally reached it this time. Thanks to
all those who followed us from county to county to help make it possible.  Now
on to 1200 !

We hope to see everyone in the Ohio QSO Party on Saturday, August 28!

73  -   Jim   K8MR   &  Jim  W8DRZ/designated driver