[MiQP-Mail] K9TM/M results & info

K9TM k9tm at buckeye-express.com
Sun Apr 19 13:36:16 EDT 2009

# Counties activated: 12
# CW QSO's: 364
# CW Mults: 58
# SSB QSO's: 54
# SSB Mults: 25
Score: [(364*2)+(54)]*(58+25) = 64,906
Time: 10 hours

Band breakdowns (QSO's):
band	cw		ssb
80		72		n/a
40		190		45
20		102		9

Non-MI Mults missed on both modes: CT, VT, AR, HI, ID, NV, UT, ND, SD,
SK, AB, NWT, NB, YT, PEI, NF, LB
MI Mults missed on both modes: too many to list
MI Mults worked on either mode: BARR, BAY, CHIP, GENE, HOUG, IONI,
KENT, LAPE, LIVI, MACO, MENO, MUSK, OAKL, PRES, WASH, WAYN.
MI Mults worked on both modes: KENT, LIVI

Good Stuff or observations
There were many out of state folks who were there for every new county
and made it fun!  All of the work put into the installation paid off.
I had no electrical issues with the vehicle or the radio during the
operation.  Operation from the vehicle is quieter than from my home
station.  Twenty CW was a pleasant surprise.  It was a great day
weather wise in MI. Safely traversing nearly 500 miles and getting
50MPG while making QSO's... priceless.

Not so good stuff or observations
Sorry for confusion while I was in Montcalm but I looked at the MiQP
website map and wrote down MONT as the map shows but the actual
official abbr is MCLM.  People were confused between Montcalm and
Montmorency.  If you copied my MONT then replace it with MCLM and
you'll be OK.  Participation appeared to be down?  If you're going to
stop at a rest area and do some operating park with the trucks as when
cars pull up or go by you hear their electrical noise.  Several times
I would get something going and then it would stop because someone in
state plopped themselves on the freq and started running.  I'm not
sure how this can happen when I'm working people but it happens a
lot.  Maybe they can't hear me but they have to hear the people
calling?  I'm not sure why but SSB from the vehicle just doesn't seem
to work for running during a contest.  I tried to start something new
(I think) but it didn't seem to take off.  I was running CW because it
worked better than running SSB and would give a SSB freq where I would
listen (split).  The thought was I could continue to run CW and give
anyone who wanted the mult on SSB could call me (when I stop CQ'ing to
listen on CW, I would also be listening for SSB).  This didn't work at
all.  People didn't seem to want to initiate the call, they wanted to
be called?  Hopefully this will pickup steam in the future.  It seems
efficient for everyone involved. Don't use a keyboard with a funky
layout that you're not familiar with (especially problematic once the
sun goes down and you can't see the keys). I couldn't get the K8XXX
20m SSB Op's attention from one county away (KENT or IONA) even though
they were S9+20... CQ'd in my face.  I missed the Cav's game but at
least they won.  I also missed the Indians handing it to the
Yankee's.  Seeing the highlights of both games was very satisfying
though.

General comments
A huge amount of work to get things ready and make it happen for a
mobile operation.  It's definitely easier to do a portable operation
than a mobile operation.

The goal was to do 500 Q's and 100+ mults.  Had I finished the last
two hours, the QSO total would have been in line with the goal.
However, the mult total is a huge disappointment. It seems conditions
had more to do with this than anything since most of the missed mults
were within MI.  Maybe having 75m (SSB) would have helped but given
how tough 80m (CW) was in-state and how tough SSB was on 20m/40m I'm
not convinced it would have helped.

It will be interesting to find out how other MI stations (mobile and
fixed) did at working MI counties.

All and all a good time although I'm not sure mobile is in my future
until the conditions get much better.  Thanks for all the QSO's and I
hope I was able to give out a few counties that you wouldn't have
otherwise worked.

73's Tim K9TM