[MiQP-Mail] K8SIA IOSCo County

Jim Besancon jebesancon at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 18 17:54:10 EDT 2010

BAND                   Q's                          Mults

80CW                    39                           12

80PH                     46                           33

40CW                   74                            22

40PH                      2                                1

20CW                  36                             15

                           197                             88

For 30,448 points.

Mults Include 18 CW Counties and 28 PH Counties

Setup at the family deer camp in Iosco county on Saturday morning in the
snow and cold rain. The cabin is equipped for year around living so life on
the inside was just fine. The setup was a FT100D at 100 watts and the
antenna was a Carolina Windom 80 with the center at a generous 30 feet, more
like 28 feet, with ends about 4 feet off the ground. I had to cart a desktop
PC and all the support cables up there for the station.  There is no phone
at the camp, so I was clueless as to any solar conditions or cluster
activity.

Started on 40CW and when my first Q was MO, I knew it was going to be tough
going.  Under the watchful eye of my 90 year old dad (K8TXA) I started to
slug away. I think I had 30Q's in the first hour. Went to 20CW and I felt
like rare DX. Fun working some DL's and OM's over in EU. Found the 75 SSB
was the place to be so made a S&P run there and picked off a few counties
before going to 80CW. After a run on 80, I returned to 75 around 22Z and ran
for 25 minutes on 3806 until I was run off. That 25 minutes on 75SSB put
more phone Q's in my log than I have worked all year from home. Twenty
minutes later, I called it quits and went into East Tawas to join the XYL
(WB8UVQ) and the grandkids for drinks, dinner and a restful evening at the
local hotel.

Would I do it again, sure will and maybe I can get the antenna up a few more
feet and give a few more hours.

As a side note, I only had one station tell me I was in the wrong county J.

As side note two, I never worked any of the mobiles on the east side of MI
(K8MR) or any of the adjoining counties. The only mobiles had to be at the
extremes of the state for me to hear the few I worked.

73 - Jim - K8SIA