[MiQP-Mail] Fwd: MiQP K8MR/M Mobile Multi-Op LP

Jimk8mr at aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Mon Apr 19 16:34:59 EDT 2010

Michigan QSO Party

Call: K8MR/M
Operator(s): K8MR, AC8E
Station:  K8MR

Class: Mobile Multi-Op LP
QTH: 24 Counties
Operating Time  (hrs): 12

80:  207      85
40:  391     69
20:  142     24
15:     0      0
10:     0      0
--------------------
Total:   740    178  CW Mults = 64  Ph Mults = 57  Total  Score = 200,618

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

By  county, in order of operation:

CTY    CW   SSB
MIDL   22   2
GLAD   27    3
BAY    32   0
AREN   27    6
OGEM   30   8
IOSC   26    4
ALCO   37   8
CRAW   44   20
ROSC   54  21
KALK   15    3
MISS   43  19
WEXF   31   13
OSCE   25   1
CLAR   32    4
ISAB   20   2
MECO   30    7
MCLM   39   2
GRAT   59    3
CLIN   30   3
SHIA   27    5
INGH   11  10
LIVI   12   14
WASH   26   3

S/P/C  39   29
CTY    25  28

Another nice visit to Michigan.  The weather was colder than the past few
years
and rather windy, but it was a  good day for everyone else to be playing
radio
and not mowing their lawns. I  often see my last snow of the year on my MiQP
trip, in some shady areas in  the very north. This year we saw snow, but in
the
form of a few flurries in  the air.

This year with K8IR covering the northern part of the lower  peninsula were
were
able to do a nice compact route around the central lower  peninsula. I
successfully used the "gray line" mode of route planning: if a  non-numbered
road is shown on the state road map (as a gray road) it is  probably a
decent
road. Found a nice such shortcut through Alcona and an good  efficient route
through Kalkaska and Missaukee. I needed to be back to  Cleveland for some
early
family events on Sunday, so we ended the contest  closer to Ohio than in
most
years. Sort of a waste putting on common places  like Livingston and
Washtenaw,
but I couldn't afford to end up any further  north.

The sunspots that have been around most of the year of course  disappeared
for
MiQP, but still conditions seemed pretty good by recent year  standards. 40
was
a bit shorter, with guys in places like Indy and Cleveland  being loud for
much
of the day. But most of the rest of MI was missing on  40.  However we were
prepared with both 80 and 75 available full time,  and on 80 CW with the
help of
the mobile frequency on 3545 we were able to  find some activity throughout
the
day, and move most of those guys to SSB.  Worked N9NE several times, and
W8CAR
and WI9WI once each among the other  mobiles.

It was fun watching, and being part of, the horserace between  N4PN and
N0IJ.
Both were very good at finding me and moving me between modes.  DL3DXX
showed up
a lot in my log, as did OM2VL. I even had three 80 meter  qsos with OM2VL,
and on
the last one, ten minutes before the end, he was  pushing S9 on my meter.

The bummer of the trip was a qso with a deer on  M66 in Mecosta county
around
0100z. Body shop estimate is $2600 (covered by  insurance), but luckily we
were
able to continue the drive home, carefully  watching the temperature gauge
all
the way.

Our score was up about 10%  from recent years, and if it holds up with log
checking will be the second  highest in my 11 years of MiQP mobile
operations.
Thanks to all who  participated.  Hope to see you all in the Ohio QSO Party
on
August 28,  and possibly from West Virginia in June if I can find a bike
riding
driver/operator to make it a twofer trip.

73  -   Jim   K8MR